Friday 29 January 2010

Why I Dont Want The New Orleans Saints To Win The Superbowl

The NFL. The Superbowl. The big game is fast approaching and the two titans of the regular season have beaten all those placed before them in the playoffs. On the 7th of February it will be Indiannapolis Colts vs New Orleans Saints. In recent years its been relatively easy picking an underdog team to support as a neutral. However, this one is different. New Orleans are the division rival of my beloved Atlanta Falcons. Very easy decision I hear you say? Well no actually. The Saints are actually a very likeable team. Their fans are one of the loudest and most accomodating, their colours are sharp and stylish and their style of play entertaining. Not to mention, the way the city dealt with Hurricane Katrina is admirable and heart warming. Real dilemma you see.

Well I have come to the conclusion, I will be supporting the Colts.

For me it comes down to several things:
  • Underdogs - I love an underdog, and going into this as rookies I see the Saints as the underdog BUT people are starting to say the opposite and I truly think the Saints are becoming the favourites. The tide seems to be turning too early before the game and I think come game day, people will be thinking the fresh looking Saints will have the edge because...
  • 2007 Giants complex - its something I think happens when a team ends up garnering ALL the neutrals support for whatever reason. In 2007, everyone wanted to see the Patriots perfect season dream fail, apart from the Patriots themselves of course. In Superbowl 42 everyone who wasnt a Pat wanted the Giants to win and its happening again for the Saints. I dont like it and its feeding the underdog aspect mentioned above.
  • Manning v Brady - I want it to be about performance NOT rings. I want Manning to get his second and hopefully a third and make the debate about performance and genuine QB play, not carrying a team. Sure they are both amazing QB's, but he's won more rings is not a valid argument and I want it to be wiped away for good.
  • Saints Fans - not all of them. But some of them have gotten VERY smug, VERY quickly. Fans who were previously well mannered and good for a conversation now chant WHO DAT everywhere. To a degree, I understand the excitement of reaching your first Superbowl, but some fans were down right unclassy after their win against the Vikings. Not to mention i'll hear the 'we won a superbowl' taunt everyday until the Falcons do it (which could be a LONG time) which leads me to my final point....
  • Bandwagonners - this may seem weird but the Colts won in 06 and they already have a large fanship. Id be disappointed to see another team get flooded with the cr@ppy bandwagon fans that just insult other teams and add to the problems in the point above. We need real, passionate fans that know the lows as well as the highs!
Let me hear your thoughts and who you're supporting come game day.

TO

5 comments:

  1. Come game day, I'll be supporting the New Orleans Saints.

    Reason...They're the team I love.

    True fans were either on the brink of tears or letting them flow when the NFC Championship game was won, not being nasty.

    Bandwagonners do cast a bad shadow, but I wouldn't suggest a team's downfall because of it (one bad apple spoiling the bunch situation lol). They're the same ones that hopped off and threw us under the bus along with the analyst after the Saints lost the final three regular season games and doubted our REALness.

    As for the Falcon fans...even the ones (my friends) that continually trashed talked THROUGH the 13-0 (and the few who continue to do so) wouldn't hear a word from me. The facts and the smile on my face would sicken them enough lol

    At the end of the day (season), Our Saints gave my mom and I Great girl time on Sundays, my brother and I Awesome times in the Dome on Monday nights and no matter the outcome we will forever LOVE our SAINTS...WHO DAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I will be supporting the Saints, Ive been a Saints fan, going to mini camps and practices that were open..I support them 100%, GEAUX SAINTS..but T.O., I dont think your reason for not supporting them is valid..You know the saying, act like you've been here before, well the Saints fans have never been to the Superbowl b4 and we are excited, this is history and for 42 years they have stood by and watched other teams get there..the Giants had been there b4 so that example that you gave was do different from what the Saints are going through..lets put Katrina aside and focus on the team itself..there are so really strong men on that team, that do a lot for the community..N.O. took in a lot of ppl that had been turned away by the other teams in the NFL and turned them into now some superbowl bound players..on the night of the NFC championship game, there was no, not a one, murder in New Orleans and if you live in N.O. or any of the surrounding areas, everytime you turn on the television and look at the evening news the headlines is the murder rate and how N.O. is #1 or #2 in the country but that night murder was not even a topic of discussion bc there wasnt one to talk about..that's how happy the ppl of N.O. were to be going to the Superbowl..if you ask around(i live in Louisiana) ppl still say that they cant believe that it's real..the Saints are loyal to their fans also..the Saints have the most players on twitter and they respond to them as much as possible..I have been responded to and that made me and my son's day to see that they are so down with the fans...I love my Saints and how dare you use those type of excuses to not root for them come Superbowl Sunday..but it doesnt matter, they'll have the rest of the world by their side..even President Obama is rooting for them so I guess the Colts can have you..I didnt like you at first but saw a different side to you when u had your reality show, then I started to like you but now this..You have me so up and down with you, but this takes the king cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the reasons you have just stated are in fact why its so difficult for me. I actually love all those things you've mentioned. I admit I like the Saints. Maybe I didnt state this enough in the intro.

    However, I AM a Falcons fan, and the reasons above are why I will be supporting the Colts. I think they are very valid reasons. The fact the Saints have never been before changes nothing of the fact all neutrals are pulling for them, just like the 2007 Giants.

    TO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry dude..I thought u were Terrell Owens..oops my bad...that's what the website had ppl thinking..oops

    ReplyDelete