Monday 22 June 2009

The Art Of Hip-Hop


It frustrates me so much when people talk badly about something of which they know nothing about. This happens with almost everything in my life and I find myself defending the very things that I believe make me who I am.

The main thing in which people seem to underestimate in my life is, Hip-Hop. When I meet someone who likes Hip-Hop, it automatically creates a bond that seems unbreakable. If it's a girl. Wow. I start thinking of marriage. It is that rare to find someone who has a true understanding of the art of Hip-Hop. (Hannah Walmsley i'm waiting to make you my wife! haha)

I'm not the kind of person who listens to music as a past time because it chills me out. These are proper music lovers and I would never consider myself as part of that group. I listen to music to listen to what someone has to say, a message they have to portray. Something that can impress me or hype me up. I want lyrics not beats. This is why I listen to Hip-Hop the most of all genres. (Not that there are amazing beats in Hip-Hop!)

Hip-Hop satisfies my needs, the more intelligent and the more I can relate to it, the better. People often misinterpret the music and think they have nothing to relate to within the genre. This isn't true, you just have to work a little harder to see the symmetry and then it makes perfect sense.

Look at these lyrics from Ludacris' song 'War With God':
"I never claimed to be nothin' but who the fuck I am
Never sold cocaine in my life, but I'm still the fuckin' man"
There is so much information in those two lines that one can relate to. I break it down to the fact I'm me and nobody else. The best message anyone can portray. Then the second part states how I know I don't have to be a break the law to show you i'm going to be somebody and don't f*ck with me.

It's such a powerful statement coming from two lines...there's a whole song of this...then there's the rest of album...then there's the other Ludacris albums...then other artists. There are literally millions of songs with vital messages that makes it so easy to find something to relate to and a message to learn from.

Hip-Hop is the most intelligent form of music there is. You can tell me that playing instruments is difficult, but so is to tap into your mind and produce something worth saying that works and gives people hope and provides a message.

Don't use the b*tches and h*es rap to hide behind because we all know that 50 Cent isn't saying anything worth hearing, but that isn't true Hip-Hop. This is the kind of thing that perfectly demonstrates what i'm talking about:



Open your hearts as well as your ears.

:)

TO

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you so much, people do not understand hip hop and don't realise its not just music but a way of life as well. Totally agree with you so much man!

    A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW its jack foster, i have no idea how to post things with a name?!

    I agree-ish (i also cant sleep hence the 3am post)
    as someone who plays an instrument I always need some good music to go with a song, but I completely agree on the lyrics thing. a song isnt a song without a story to tell.
    i dispise dance and hardcore, a child can do that.
    also I'm starting 2 grow out of the modern rock scene because all the songs are the same "i love a girl, there were complications, they were/were not resolved" outro.
    I'd imagine you've heard of dan le sac vs scroobious pip. if u havnt got the album GET IT!! im not a rap/hip-hop man really but some of the lyrics in that blew my mind. scroobious pips personal myspace is also a good listen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jack, thats for commenting! (as for the name thing, you change the comment as bar to name/url and type what you want in)

    I agree about good music but for me personally, a song cant be great without great lyrics. But if you put great lyrics onto average music it can still be a good song.

    Its hard to explain. Bad lyrics for me, will ruin the best music/beat you could ever think of.

    I had heard of them, but not heard any songs, Getting the album now.

    TO

    ReplyDelete