Monday 22 June 2009

Film Review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I should preface this review by stating I went to watch this movie at an IMAX cinema. I had never been as did not realise there are NO adverts (a part of film going experience i relish to be honest) and so 6pm start time means 6pm start time. Therefore arriving at 5.55pm is a bad idea and the unreserved seating plan means despite booking the tickets 2 days earlier we had to sit at the front row. Let me use to caps to demonstrate how this affected the experience....

MY SENSES WERE RAPED, I FELT LIKE A SHELL OF THE MAN I WAS ENTERING THE CINEMA.

5ft from a 100ft by 75ft screen...I had to turn my head to see action at one side of the screen. While this is a teachnological wet dream, I don't understand the point of having rows that close to the screen, I still have a head ache 5 hours later.

Therefore, its important to consider this may have impaired my experience a little and I want to watch the film again at IMAX but sat as far back as possible and again at a normal cinema.

That being said, I agree with the reviews given by mainstream media. The film is definitely bigger. But that is not always better. The explosions are huge, fight scenes long and SFX intense. Its as if Michael Bay ('director'....hmmmm) has just told the SFX department to take acid and fill the screen with metal. Comparisons can be drawn to a bodybuilders intense growth using steriods despite the obvious detriment to the genital area.

The film is nothing if not spectacular and moments will make you wonder where they have been hiding such amazing technology but it all seems to come at the cost of a believeable storyline and making the viewer feel like they have been through a washing machine by the end.

I'd rate this film as around 7.4 out of 10 and thats only because i'm a massive Transformers fan. Still a must watch because of the awesome SFX but dont expect to leave with a grin.

2 comments:

  1. I TOLD YOU about IMAX cinemas didn't I? Too much for one pair of eyes to take it when there is so much going on

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to see this film so badly!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete